We are looking for talented volunteer filmmakers!
Who are we?
Portuguese-speakers come to London from 10 different countries. They are predominantly based in and around an area known as Little Portugal in Stockwell. But they also live all across London. Our community is home to Portuguese-speaking CEOs, campaigners, journalists, politicians, artists and changemakers. Through videos, photographs and other visual content, Little Portugal aims to tell the inspiring stories of this vibrant community.
Who are we looking for?
Job Title: Filmmaker (Volunteer)
Reports to: Little Portugal Co-Directors
Location: The candidate should be based in London
Hours: Flexible (approx. 10 hours/week)
Start date: November 2017
As Little Portugal’s filmmaker, you will…
- Record interviews on camera (talking heads);
- Film b-roll footage to capture people’s stories;
- Edit every interview into an approx. 3-min long video (see examples here);
- Upload videos on YouTube;
- Create subtitled versions of every video;
- Occasionally attend and film events;
- Need to have your own equipment (currently we use a DSLR camera, a simple clip-on microphone, a tripod & Adobe Premiere Pro for editing);
- Have some interest in the Portuguese-speaking community in London.
Qualifications and skills
- Be confident using a video camera;
- Good editing skills (Premiere Pro preferred);
- Film or media related degree and/or some filmmaking experience required (students welcome);
- Portuguese language advantage but not necessary as all interviews are filmed in English;
- Be hardworking and a good team player.
Little Portugal is a non-profit venture, we are all doing this for free! For this reason, we cannot pay you or reimburse your travel expenses.
However, by being part of our team you can gain…
- Experience and a lot of material for your professional portfolio;
- A great reference letter for future job applications;
- New connections which might even lead to some paid work;
- Great exposure of your work (Our website has had a total of 29,866 views from more than 50 countries since November 2016);
- Insights into one of the largest migrant communities in the UK;
- Even though we have an established filmmaking style for our videos, we will give you the freedom to be creative and experiment.
If you’re interested, please send your CV, a short cover letter and examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the job title as the subject line of the e-mail.